This meal is really, really easy and super flavorful. It also utilizes one of my favorite inventions in the whole world which is the Crock-Pot. i like that I can prepare the veggies, meat, and spice mix the night before and then combine everything in the Crock-Pot in the morning. The meal cooks on Low while I work and there’s something yummy and delish waiting for me when I get home!
This recipe was initially found here and I put my own twist on it, as usual 🙂
Ready to make the simplest soup of your life that makes your tastebuds happy?? I am!
Fire-Roasted Poblano, Black Bean, & Chicken Soup
- 1 large poblano & 1 large Hungarian wax pepper, fire-roasted*
- 6 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 4oz. can chopped green chiles
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 c. corn – I used frozen but you can use fresh, too (the frozen corn will defrost in the fridge)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1.5lb baby Yukon gold potatoes, rinsed & quartered
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp, chili powder, 1 tsp. paprika, 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. coriander, 1 tsp, oregano, 1 tsp, pepper, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper mixed together in a small bowl
- 1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 limes, juiced
- optional toppings — sour cream, cilantro, cheddar jack cheese, crushed tortilla chips, sliced avocados, etc.
~ * First, fire roast the poblano and Hungarian wax peppers. You can do it over an open flame or place them under the broiler. Regardless, make sure you are rotating them every minute or so, getting a nice black char on all sides. When the peppers are charred, place them in a bowl and cover them with plastic wrap. This will allow them to steam & cook & soften. Set this bowl aside for 10 minutes while you prepare the rest of the meal.
~ Prepare the spice mix by mixing all the spices together and covering them with plastic wrap. Boom. Done 🙂
~ In a gallon Ziploc bag, place the diced onions, quartered potatoes (you can remove the skin if you want – I don’t), black beans, diced tomatoes, green chiles, corn, and garlic.
~ Remove the peppers from their steaming bowl. Gently remove as much skin as you can, but leave some of the char because it adds flavor. Remove the stems & seeds and chop the soft peppers into small pieces. Add these chopped peppers to the Ziploc veggie bag. If you are making this in the morning, put the veggie bag in the fridge overnight. If you are making this in one day, skip the whole bagging process and put all the veggies right into the Crock-Pot.
~ In the morning, pour the chicken broth into the Crock-Pot and stir in the spice mix. Nestle the whole chicken breasts into the broth. Dump the contents of the Ziploc bag into the Crock-Pot. Stir everything to combine.
~ Set heat to Low and cook for 6-7hrs. Inhale the smells when you get home. <3
~ Remove the chicken breasts, shred them, and place the shredded chicken back into the Crock-Pot. Stir in the lime juice and allow it to warm through.
~ Scoop the soup into bowls and top with your favorite Mexican-themed toppings!!! I used some cheddar jack cheese and crushed tortilla chips! <3
~ Easy and tasty and ready for you when you get home from work!!