Are you looking for a super quick weeknight meal that has an unbelievable amount of flavor? Are you also looking for a meal that lends well to leftovers so you don’t spend your money buying lunch at work?! Follow me this way then, friends!
I saw my muse, Giada, making this on Food Network on her new show, Giada Entertains. She was making this as a light dinner for friends coming over for a game night. I’ve been looking for a way to spice up chicken dinners and I thought this would be perfect. My boyfriend was slightly confused at first (wait, where’s the pasta? This is chicken Parm, right?) but once he took a bite, all confusion turned to understanding and amazement.
The original recipe from Giada de Laurentiis is here. She makes her own vinaigrette, but I used Ken’s Italian with Aged Romano because it’s my favorite Italian dressing. Feel free to create your own vinaigrette or use your fave Italian-style bottled dressing. You honestly can’t go wrong!
Warm Chicken Parmesan Salad
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. grapeseed oil
- 3 large chicken breast cutlets
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt and 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 c. seasoned Italian bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 c. of your preferred marinara sauce (you can use this recipe of mine & take out the meat OR use your favorite jarred sauce)
- Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- 3/4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 c. baby spinach and arugula blend (this was personal preference – use your favorite salad)
- 1 c. fresh basil leaves, torn from stems and rinsed
- 1/2 c. shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 c. sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Italian dressing/vinaigrette to taste
- croutons (optional)
~ To start, warm your two oils together over medium heat in a large saute pan. I use grapeseed oil with olive oil because it has a higher burning point and it has a milder flavor. If you only have olive oil on hand, it’s fine to use just that!
~ While you wait for the oils to heat up, salt and pepper each side of the chicken and then dredge them in seasoned breadcrumbs. Place the cutlets in the pan, making sure to give them enough space to brown. Cook the cutlets about 4 minutes per side.
~ Prepare your salad while the chicken cooks. Toss the greens with the cheese, sundried tomatoes, and croutons. Get out or prepare your dressing at this time, too! 🙂
~ Pour in the marinara sauce (SLOWLY to avoid splatter) and add the additional seasoning if you’d like. Turn the cutlets in the sauce to completely cover. Sprinkle the tops of the cutlets with the mozzarella and allow to simmer for 9-10 minutes over medium-low heat.
~ When the chicken is done, cut it into strips it over a generous serving of salad with croutons and a light spritz of dressing. Make sure to scoop some of the marinara sauce from the pan over the finished product, too! <3
~ This salad is literally perfect and it’s ready in under a half hour (if you are using pre-made sauce). What more could you want?!?!
Enjoy!!! 🙂 <3