As the temperature starts to rise, my desire to cook hot food drops significantly. I’m sure most people can agree with me here! However, I don’t like skimping on flavor just because I don’t like to cook in the heat!!
This recipe is fresh, fun, and a mix of my favorite veggies! It’s also versatile in that you can change up the veggies you incorporate into it each time….and decide whether or not to add an extra protein. I had added some chicken to this salad because my boyfriend NEEDS to have meat in every meal or he thinks it’s not legitimate. 🙂
The crunchy noodles, crispy veggies, creamy edamame, nutty almonds, and tangy dressing make this salad 100% amazing. This salad is seriously one of the best salads I have made in a long time. Obsessed.
The sweet, garlicky, spicy dressing is the perfect way to finish off an already delicious bowl of veggies, meat, etc. You’ll see!!! <3
Crunchy Rainbow Ramen Salad
- 1 12 oz. bag of slaw (I used a basic cabbage and carrot slaw)
- 1/2 c. shredded carrots
- 1 c. cooked edamame (I steamed frozen, shelled edamame in a couple of inches of water and then rinsed them in cold water; set aside to cool)
- 1 bell pepper (I used red), diced
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/3 c. cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 15oz. can mandarin orange slices, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1 8oz. can diced water chestnuts
- 2 3oz. packages of ramen noodles, broken up in to tiny pieces; discard the spice packs
- 2 ears of fresh sweet corn, sliced off of the cob
- 1/3 c. sliced unsalted almonds
- 3/4 lb. chicken tenders, roasted with salt, pepper, and olive oil (optional)
Honey Garlic Vinaigrette
- 1/2 c. grapeseed oil (or other relatively flavorless oil)
- 1/3 c. honey
- 2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
~ In the biggest bowl you have, combine all of the salad ingredients. I like to arrange them so I can see everything I have prepared. Check it out below. OCD at it’s finest. The bowl wasn’t wide enough to showcase the slaw and the corn so my heart is hurting a bit…
~ Prior to prepping the salad, if you want to roast some chicken tenders or steak tips or shrimp, any and all of those meats would mix into this salad amazingly well. I roasted about 3/4lb. chicken tenderloins with salt, pepper, and olive oil @ 400 degrees for 25 minutes. I let them cool and then cut them into bite-sized chunks.
~ In a large Pyrex measuring cup, whisk together all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette. It’ll need to be whisked constantly until you are ready to pour it over the salad. It will tend to separate!!
~ Using tongs, toss together all of the ingredients. Pour the dressing over slowly and sparingly. Don’t drench it in dressing!! Please don’t kill the salad! 🙂
~ Serve liberally with extra dressing on the side. This salad has minimal guilt and is so amazingly yummy! As I said earlier, the best part is that you can add in your favorite veggies and/or mix-ins!
~ ENJOY!! <3